What is sleep hygiene?
To maintain a healthy balanced life, sleep is extremely important. Sometimes, however, sleep is not the easiest thing to come by. It may be due to a lot of other problems, ranging from age to others.
This is where sleep hygiene comes in. If you are someone who has deliberately put off sleeping for an extended period and now you find it difficult to fall asleep at one time consistently, then the next few steps will help you. Sleep hygiene is putting yourself in the most comfortable position to fall asleep.
While you sleep, the most important thing is to make sure you are in a quiet and calm place, but that is the last step just before you sleep. To get 7-9 hours of shut-eye, it is very important to follow the next steps:
- Set a wake-up time: If you struggle with sleeping at a particular time every day, set a wake-up time. No matter what, make sure you wake up at this time, every day consistently.
- Prioritize your sleep: Often, we put off sleeping to watch another movie or one more episode of the new tv show. STOP. Prioritize your sleep like you would going to work every day.
- Don’t toss and turn: Make a deliberate attempt not to toss and turn when you sleep. Make sure you lie down excruciatingly still with the slightest movement. When you move, your brain starts working again
- Give yourself 30 minutes: After a long day, not everyone can fall asleep the minute their heads touch the pillow. Give yourself those 30 minutes to wind down. Be in the moment and rest those eyes. Forget your long hectic day and just breathe.
- Keep the phone away: The blue light that comes out of our screens is the most harmful light for sleep. The blue light kills your ability to sleep and keeps you awake for longer than necessary. Keep it as far as you can.
- Sleep Aid: Sometimes, taking a nighttime sleep aid like sleep mune can also be a part of your daily routine!
- Personalize: Decide what works for you. Figure out what are the things that you can do consistently and add them to your routine.
Having a nighttime routine has worked for millions of people. Falling into the healthy habit of following a specific routine is bound to help in the long run. Once it’s set, nothing can break it.
If you are having trouble falling asleep, you can always take some external help. And for that, sleep mune is perfect for you!